Monday, August 13, 2007

14 miles and sore calves...

Today's run was intimidating not only for the length, but the sheer size of our group. It had doubled in size due to the East Bay folks training with us. So "Group Alberto Salazar" was not our normal manageable size of 10-12 but a whopping 21 folks. Needless to say we slit into two groups.
The run started out in typical form, through Golden Gate park and out around the Panhandle. Instead of our normal route, we ran past the tennis courts and headed out to the Sunset district, running down towards MLK drive and 25th ave. At this point I had wished I had utilized the last bathroom stop, as the next 5 miles was nothing but us and the pavement and shrubbery. It got to a point where I could not concentrate on my pace, so I ducked into the "foliage" with my fellow runner Heather on the lookout. So much for me thinking my body would absorb the excess water. This was definitely the hardest run to date. My left calf never got loose and I just did not feel that I got into my normal rhythm. Perhaps the size of the group threw me off...at mile 12 my fellow runner Cindy and I made a command decision to walk the last two miles back.
Coach John stopped us and asked how we were doing and I told him about my calf cramping up..."stop running now." Yes thank god...I seriously thought that I was going to tear something...yes this is what training is all about...no sense in getting hurt now with only 3 months left to go. Cindy was grateful as well as her knees were starting to bug her. So at least
we had a 2 mile cool down. No need to run into Ocean Beach and cool down our muscles, though
the water looked especially inviting as the city at 12 noon was about 69 degrees and sunny.
Training is getting more intense and I am trying to take everything in stride. I am happy with the progress I am making and it can only get better.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

No comments: